Friday, June 19, 2009

Terminator: Salvation, novelization by Alan Dean Foster

OK, I am embarrassed to admit that I read a novelization by anyone, especially since I haven't seen the movie yet and this should have killed all the surprises for me. I don't make it a habit of reading novelizations because they are just a beefed up screenplay so I wouldn't normally post on such material but I had to say that this was terrible for two reasons. One, it seemed hastily and sloppily written for such a professional as Alan Dean Foster who has written more than I ever will. He uses disinterested when he meant uninterested and maybe I am the only one who should care about such things but it bugs me when a writer loses control of the language. Second, it seems hastily written in that the writing was rushed and not exactly thought out, as in a thesaurus was used some times. Instantaneous or other words were overused and thus the thesaurus was underused in some areas. All in all, it was less rewarding than watching the movie will be, I am sure. It did set up another novel by Timothy Zahn, whose Stars Wars' books I enjoyed, so maybe the sequel to the prequel will be better: Terminator Salvation: Rise from the Ashes. The prologue and first chapter of this book are in the back of Terminator: Salvation. So far, the writing is better and seems less rushed and more interesting, but the key character in Terminator: Salvation, Marcus Wright, is missing so far. His character kept the book going for me because he is a hybrid, half-human and half-terminator, with both a CPU and a human brain. He even saves John Connor and keeps the timeline, though it is now twisted, going. All for this one....

No comments: